A stroll through the Gothic Quarter (called Barri Gotic) will make you feel as if you were transported back in time. Many hotels offer free walking tours of the Gothic quarter, which I would highly recommend. There are so many alleyways that it is easy to get turned around. If you want to explore on your own, here is a good route that hits all of the sites you don’t want to miss.
1. Start at La Catedral and say hello to the 13 geese that have called the cloisters their home since medieval times. There will be a long line, but it moves quickly and it is free to enter.
2. Next head to Plaça de Sant Felip. You will pass through the most picturesque alley in all of Barcelona which then opens up to a pretty courtyard. Schrapnel damage can still be seen on the church from a bombing in 1939.
3. Pop into Be Chocolat to refuel with some amazing truffles. Trust me- you will go back for more.
4. Zig zag through the alley ways to marvel at the rose window of Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi. If the truffles weren’t enough, grab a gelato in Giovanni Gelateria Italiano on the way. I may have done both.
5. Walk parallel to La Rambla to reach Plaça Reial. This large open plaza is dappled with palm trees and surrounded by a bevy of good restaurants. We chose Ocaña for refreshments. This plaza is beautiful day and night, especially when lit by the Gaudi designed lamp posts.
6. Next head towards Plaça de Sant Jaume and carry on to Plaça del Rei. You will feel like you hit a dead end, but as you turn the corner, you will see some amazing Roman ruins on you right.
Wandering through the Gothic Quarter was my favorite way to spend time in Barcelona. The picturesque alley ways and floral filled windows were so beautiful and there were great shops along the way.
The Gothic Quarter in Barcelona is such a beautiful area, you will love wandering and taking photographs. During my 4 days in Barcelona, I kept coming back here because I just couldn’t get enough. You don’t want to be rushed. Just meander through and grab some gelato as you go. Have fun time traveling!
Pin for later-